Pages

Subscribe:

11.19.2008

Leading

I have finally found a mentor. I don't think he knows he's my newly-elected mentor, but he is.

In finding him, and confirming it, I also realize why having mentors is important.

I like this man. I like how he thinks, I like the way he operates. But what I really appreciate about him is a little harder to explain, but I'll try:

He is a VERY influential man, but if I put his name here (which I won't) you wouldn't have any idea who he is. You would google him (as I just did to make sure I wasn't sticking my foot in the mouth) and find a lot of hits, but only a handful (if that) would be about the guy I'm talking about. In the influential world that I work in, his name can get you reservations and make people pay attention to you. People CARE what this man has to say and if they have the good sense God gave them, they listen and they heed.

He isn't God, he isn't the second-coming, he's just smart. He understands how to talk to people, he understands relationships are the most important things you ever get to influence and make and he makes the most of those. He has a boss and his boss respects his opinion above everyone else. His quiet influence is where I'm trying to be. I don't need groupies, people who follow just because of what they think I have. I want people who listen to me BECAUSE they know I know what I'm talking about. But first, I gotta know what I'm talking about.

Everyday I work with this guy I'm more aware of who I want to be as a leader. I'm more aware of the type of leader I want to be. I can honestly say I don't know anyone who leads like he does... except me. I LOVE it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now open to everyone! Leave a comment -- let me know what you think.