Pages

Subscribe:

10.30.2009

Am I My Brother's Keeper

I read today on Necole Bitchie's site about this percieved beef between Beanie Siegel and Jay-Z. It appears that Beanie is a bit upset with the way Jay has treated him recently, beginning with his being dropped from Rock-A-Fella.

I had a brief exchange about the situation on Twitter.
@ASmith86: Apparently [Beanie's] mad from when a judge asked Jay if he'd be responsible for him if he let Beans out and Jay said no.

@mzvirgo: well he's not his guardian or whatever, so that's Beanie's problem.
She has a point. When I read what happened: a judge asked Jay-Z if upon release, Beanie could go with him on tour and he (Jay) would be responsible for Beanie and Jay said "no" I understood both sides. Beanie felt like Jay owed him more than that. He felt like they had been best friends and that Jay was turning his back on him. In fact, Beanie quotes Jay as having once said, "if my life were a movie, the sequel would be Siegel."

On the flip side, I can understand Jay's angle. Maybe he felt like Beanie was too great of a liability. If Beanie messed up, it wouldn't have been just his butt on the line, it would've been Jay's too. I've never been on a major tour, but I can imagine that you do good to keep up with yourself, let alone someone else. He may look like the a**hole in this case, but I can understand it.

So I wonder: are we our brother's keeper, anymore? Do we feel any responsibility for our close friends? Do we think it's our job, anymore, to take care of them when they fall -- or is it always fair to look out for the #1?

Ultimately, while I understand Beanie's disappointment and feelings of rejection, I don't begrudge Jay-Z. If he didn't feel like he could be responsible for Beanie, if he felt like Beanie was too much of a liability, I understand that as well. At a certain point, I think we'd all be upset with the idea of having to take care of a grown adult. Sometimes, despite their best intentions, people still make mistakes and that's ok, but when your mistakes begin to effect me and my world -- well that's not ok and not necessarily a liability I'm willing to take on.

Thoughts?

1 comment:

Kit (Keep It Trill) said...

Jay Z is all about business. He apparently set some boundaries between business and friendship, and Beanie got all sensitive about it. I listened to his commentary diss on his new song, What You Talkin About. He clearly feels betrayed.

He shouldn't be. Who wants to be legally put in the position of being responsible for a released felon while on tour? I'm sure there will be lots of weed and other stuff at parties wherever they go, and Beanie can't be around that, so he'd not only hinder the partying, but be legal liability to Jay Z.

After what happened to Lil Wayne getting a gun charge for his manager's gun on their tour bus, and will now have to serve time, Jay Z ain't taking no chances with Beanie and his drug problems.

Post a Comment

Now open to everyone! Leave a comment -- let me know what you think.