Pages

Subscribe:

11.03.2009

Superiority Complex

This morning it occurred to me that I may be developing a “you don’t know who I am” complex. It’s because of where I work. Many people here have that complex. I work with/around some of the most powerful people in America. Some of these people have the type of clout to get folks fired from jobs they’ve held for years, just because they want to. One swift e-mail from some of these people could put lots of money into your organization, or strip it all away. As a result, many people here have a “you don’t know who I am” complex. That is, small gaffes like mistaking them for someone of “lesser” importance can piss them off enough that they find it necessary to prove to you who they are by somehow negatively impacting whatever organization or group you represent. I’ve seen it happen.

It’s a complex born of an environment that thrives on clout, capital (of the non-tangible kind), and typically manifests itself worse among people who’ve never had power before. Power is and can be a very dangerous thing. I’ve heard many people, like the recently convicted former Mayor of Birmingham, AL, say that power is a dangerous drug...


Finish this at The Outlook

1 comment:

Kit (Keep It Trill) said...

Sooo true. A friend of mine used to call a newly-powerful and arrogant one on our job, King of the Shack, 'cause that's what he came from. Not all do, of course, some are bullies born with all the advantages. Hope you survive that place, sounds stressful.

Post a Comment

Now open to everyone! Leave a comment -- let me know what you think.