Pages

Subscribe:

5.22.2009

The Truth About the Silver Bullet



The truth about the Silver Bullet is that there isn't one. I don't think that's news to anyone, though. Yet, we keep searching for it. The one thing that will fix everything that's wrong.

I've been talking (and more importantly thinking) a lot of about paradigm shifts and re-defining life. I find myself telling people "maybe you just need to redefine (enter issue)."

Like maybe we need to re-define happiness. What it is, where it comes from, how we get it, etc... Know that all these things are interrelated. What something is, is often defined by where it's from and where something is from can be defined by how it's obtained which can often be defined by what it is -- you see the cycle?

True happiness can't be external. All external things come and go. The only thing life guarantees you'll have throughout is you. People, jobs, cars, money, things -- they all come and go, but you've got you from now until the end (whenever that is). Not to mention, the moment you no longer have *you* you no longer have anything (and I mean that literally as well as figuratively).

Perhaps if happiness is something we pull from within ourselves, but is complemented and occasionally enhanced by our surroundings, those things that are guaranteed to come and go, then we can make our way to it a little easier. But to look externally for that silver bullet -- the one thing that will guarantee you happiness (or anything else for that matter) is to set yourself up for failure and possibly create a cycle.

I realize I may have what looks like some crazy new-wave idea here, but I think this is awful basic. I think we all, from time to time, wish that happiness would come from outside because we look inside and can't fathom happiness coming from there. If you see happiness as a true part of who you are -- more than simply feeling happy, or always enjoying what's going on, but rather a knowledge that ultimately "life is good" and no matter what's happening in this moment, you are ok or will be ok or can be ok.

I did a post on my own personal happiness. It was one of those situations where I didn't realize how truly unhappy I had been until I was out of the situation. I mention this to put caution to the easy-to-come-to idea that what I'm trying to say is that in everything still be happy. The truth is, sometimes you just won't be happy -- but knowing that a) you will come out the other side and b) you will be a better person for it can be a soothing thought in and of itself.

Just some random thoughts... but then all my thoughts are random, right?

2 comments:

Shantae said...

People have often called me simple-minded because of my concept of happiness. That being to just enjoy life through the eyes of a child. I love laughing at silly things, being awed at "magic" and loving like there's no tomorrow. So I agree with this post 100%. The excitement of a new house or car will eventually fade and pales in comparison to the always satisfying feeling of laughing at a corny joke til you cry.

And to be honest, I've never agreed with the notion of it being simple-minded. I think it's just making the best of any and every situation. But of course, that's subjective. We all see things differently. Excellent post, btw.

A.Smith said...

Shantae, we might be long lost cousins or something. I'm always laughing at the little things, or finding something great about mundane things. I'm VERY easily amused. My friends think I'm crazy and need to grow up.

Post a Comment

Now open to everyone! Leave a comment -- let me know what you think.